Wednesday, June 24, 2009

I'd rather be...

Hot summer, the air seems to buzz. There's a big pile of laundry but we are low energy. It's the slow motion time of the day. There's more work to do. But I'd rather be...anything. Let's shoot that Instant Video. Now? Where? How?

What's this song about anyway? Something to think about. Is it about neighbors? Let's shoot it between the houses. "Good fences make good neighbors," that line comes to mind.

But really... The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, the saying goes. Which seems to say that once I finally manage to hop the fence and land my feet on the other side, the patch of grass I just abandoned will only seem greener from my new vantage point.

Stay with me here while I talk this out. Therefore...our perception is unreliable. It's easy for us to envy and want what we don't have. But who is to say that we don't have the better situation right now? We are in fact already the envy of the neighborhood. We might just be where we want to be. Right? It's about appreciating the moment. Now is the time.

The song plays with that proverb but evokes a different idiom: the promise of "greener pastures." In this case, "greener pastures" can be a place or condition that is more favorable than the current situation. Our imaginations keep us going in our quest to reach the land of milk and honey. And we have to hold that illusory vision intact in order to "get there." It's like trying to protect a soap bubble while walking down a path of thorns. We must shield ourselves from the naysayers. And keep the faith. Ferociously.



Greener Grass
by Tammy Lin Foreman

There's nothing that I'd rather do
Than be true than be brave, yeah.
There's nothing that I'd rather do
Than walk tall to my grave.

And when I open up my mouth
The truth will set me free, yeah.
East, west, north and south
Lay waiting for me.

When there's a hurt in my heart
When there's a break in my stride, oh.
I never give up
There's greener grass on the other side.

And I have heard them say
Oh you'll never get there
Coz greener grass is tricky and
You can see it everywhere.

But I don't mind the look of it
As far as I can see
As long as there's green grass
I know that I can roam free.

When there's hope in my heart
When there's faith in my stride
Oh I never give up
There's greener grass on the other side.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I loved this song.

June 25, 2009 at 10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home